Mission and Values
Our mission is to advance language science at the University of Maryland and beyond, through integrated research and training that links fundamental science with applications in education, technology, and health.
We aim to:
- Raise the profile of language as a critical research area - locally, nationally and internationally
- Build connections between researchers, disciplines and institutions
- Enable language scientists to address important questions in new ways
- Improve awareness and public understanding of language issues and the need for language-related policy decisions to be scientifically informed
- Increase the visibility of individuals’ and departments’ contributions to language science and to the University of Maryland
Our approach incorporates key lessons that we have learned about how to create and sustain a vibrant and diverse research community.
Thinking Beyond Disciplines
Collaborative research, teaching and training are the foundation of our approach, and we work to create and support strong connections between language scientists across the university.
Leadership Across the Community
We encourage all members of our community to take on leadership roles. This diversity of leadership adds creativity, and creates a broad sense of shared ownership of the community and its achievements.
It takes time to build trust, develop a shared vision, and build effective relationships. We are investing in our community for the long term.
Trust in Young Talent
Our students devise their own interdisciplinary training plans and take on key leadership roles in language science initiatives. We regard this as an essential part of their training. It has also been essential in building strong links between faculty and departments.
Science is Social
Our research and training are strengthened by opportunities to talk, interact, get feedback, and build connections both within and outside of traditional academic contexts. We do better science with people who we trust, and who are comfortable giving us candid feedback.
All faculty and student members of the Language Science Center participate in outreach activities. This makes us better communicators, better collaborators and better scientists, while raising visibility and public understanding of language science.
By setting clear, attainable goals and evaluating our progress, we keep learning how to improve on what we do. Formative assessment, when done right, can really make a difference.